When you read about hair transplant, the first thing you will encounter with is hair transplant methods, FUE or FUT, or the newer methods which have originated from these two. Here I have tried to explain these two methods, their differences, advantages, and disadvantages in detail.
FUT and FUE methods in Iran
FUT and FUE hair transplant methods in Iran
If you started to lose your hair lately, there are some ways to prevent or delay it; but if you have lost hair already and you are determined to transplant natural hair, we could help you with our hair transplant services in Iran. Iranian cosmetic surgeons mostly use FUE and FUT methods for hair transplant; Side effects of these methods are the least and the results are the best in all known hair transplant techniques.
There has been much academic research to see hair transplant results in Iran which will be provided later; our own research shows almost all patients were highly or reasonably satisfied.
The procedure duration is 4 to 8 hours and the healing process starts 3 days after the operation. The operation is performed under local anesthetics in a modern clinic.
After cleaning the head, the doctor injects a local anesthetic to numb your scalp in both procedures, then:
-In FUT (follicular unit transplantation) or FUSS (follicular unit strip surgery) or just strip method, the surgeon removes a strip of skin from the back of the scalp and sews the wound together again. Then the team of assistants removes hair grafts and divides them (they contain one to three hair each).
-In FUE (follicular unit extraction) also known as FT (follicular transfer) method, after cleaning and shaving the scalp; the surgery team removes follicular units from the donor area one by one.
After preparing the grafts for transplantation and creating holes in bald areas, surgeons and assistants place hairs in holes, very delicately, with special tiny needles or scalpels. The number of transplanted grafts depends highly on hair type and strip size.
In some cases, the doctor uses two different methods simultaneously. Nowadays, because of less scarring, patients prefer FUE because it is the less invasive method.
The procedure takes 4-8 hours depending on the number of grafts and the size of the recipient area.
It takes 3-5 days to heal and you will see the initial results in 3-4 months; but it takes almost 9 months up to a year to see the full results, there have been some rare cases that took about a year and a half to see the full results, so be patient.
FUT method: Procedure, advantages, and disadvantages
Follicular Unit Transfer (FUT) or strip harvesting procedure in summary:
- Trim the donor area hair
- Numbing donor area with local anesthesia
- Removing a strip of hair from the donor area –usually the back of the scalp
- Suturing the strip area together
- Dividing hair grafts
- Making tiny holes in the recipient area
- Placing follicular unit grafts in those tiny holes
FUT is a highly-advanced hair transplantation method that imitates natural hair growth patterns. It usually takes place in one 4-8 hour session; this method is an ideal choice for people with large bald areas.
Other than a surgical scar on the back of your skull, there isn’t any other sign of hair transplant surgery on your head; if you trim your hair very short, this scar will be visible.
It takes 3-4 months for your new hair to grow. The transplanted hair is exactly like your normal hair and it will grow like your hair, too.
The linear scar on the skull is the only disadvantage of this method versus the FUE method. The FUT method is an advanced and proven method and:
- Results look natural
- Your hair regrowth lasts a long time
- Most of the harvested hair will remain
- It’s affordable
FUE hair transplant in Iran: why is it so popular?
FUE hair transplant method has advantages and disadvantages, read about them here:
FUE method advantages
- If you like to shave your head or wear very short hair, this is the best method, because, it leaves invisible to the naked eyes.
- In the post-operation period, pain and numbness are minimal; so post-operative is more comfortable.
- The healing time of the donor site is less than the FUT method; so, this procedure can be performed again in 4 months to implant more hair in the recipient site, or after 2 months for another recipient site.
- It can be used combined with other methods.
FUE method disadvantages
- It was more expensive.
- You must shave the whole head and wear a cap
- Because the FUE method is hard to learn and master, it needs a high-experienced and skilled surgeon to perform the procedure.
- Grafts are more fragile and prone to damage.
- Surgery duration is longer. It takes more time to remove grafts, divide hair and plant them in holes created in the recipient area; this causes more graft loss risk.
- Invisible micro scars in the FUE method cannot be removed, but the remaining scars in the FUT method can be removed in other cosmetic surgeries.
Am I a good candidate for the FUE method in Iran?
Hair transplant surgeons in recent years leaned more toward the FUE method; younger patients prefer the FUE method, too, because sometimes short hair is fashionable, and young people tend to move along with fashion styles. So it means they like their head to have fewer scars as possible.
So if you don’t want to have scars after the surgery and want to recover sooner to get to your normal life and work, this method is more suitable for you.
By traveling to Iran to do a hair transplant surgery, you will get a more affordable price and you can see the nature, history, and culture of Iran while recovering from your surgery.
What about the price, which one is cheaper?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a little more costly than the strip method because the FUE method is more time-consuming, but because of its advantages, patients prefer the FUE method:
- The risk of remaining scarred in the FUE method is less than in the strip method
- Side effects are minimal
- The patient will recover sooner